Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oh, Those Gentle Whispers!

His name was David, an elderly man quietly sitting on a park bench in the suburban city of Columbia, Maryland. I turned my car around the corner and got a quick glimpse of him as I headed home on a route I had not taken before. Ever wonder what God has planned when He gently whispers for you to do something seemingly insignificant? Well, in the moments as I turned out of my office’s parking lot, I can honestly say I didn’t think a thing of it. I just felt stirred in my spirit to go left instead of right, and so I did. Following that voice made my commute home turn into a deeper understanding of the heart of Jesus.

For in the moment David began to reach out towards the shopping cart he kept nearby, my heart leapt outside my chest. This was his poor man’s walker that he would snatch up along his walk from his apartment, past Giant, to the lake and park nearby. Quickly I became aware of the fact that I was to go and love on this man the way Jesus would if He were the one in my being at that moment (of which, He actually was).

When I reached David, I began a conversation, but a look of perplexity came over his face. “No speak English. I Russian,” came out of his mouth. And I sighed in my heart, wishing I had the words to communicate with Him the love of His heavenly Father up above. But what I lacked in language, I resolved to not lack in action. For, as Saint Francis of Assisi’s famous quote alludes, the Gospel should be mainly preached through the way we live our lives in acts of compassion and mercy, and not merely in the words we speak.

That afternoon I spent my time walking beside this man, and the bright smile on his face told me that listening to that still small voice inside was worth it. As I walked with him, engaged with him as he tried to converse with the maybe 10-15 English words he knew, and sang to him, I was silently praying over Him. Wouldn’t the Lord bring a Russian speaking messenger across his path? I believe He will. He sent me David’s way that beautiful summer day. I only pray that whoever is meant to share the Gospel to him with Russian words would be sensitive to that still small voice inside.

As I reflect on these events with you, I don’t want to gloat about how great I am at listening to that voice – for I can admit to many times that I haven’t done so. But in those times we do listen, we’re thankful we did. And the stories are worth telling! I’d love to hear yours!

The world could seriously be changed if we purposed our hearts towards listening to what God has to say to us in each and every moment. I know EVERY moment seems like a tall order, but let me encourage you – most the time what the Spirit is saying simply points to the way Paul encouraged us to live-doing exactly what you’re doing “to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31).” – to live the Gospel out in your actions.



“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”
St. Francis of Assisi

Related scriptures: Colossians 3:22-24; Galatians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:22-26

1 comment: